Saturday, May 07, 2005

"Help Me Find My Owner!"


This is my L subway ride home from work yesterday.


1. Standing up on the train, I have a clear view into the next car ahead. There is some guy doing a magic show, which has all the trappings of the trade including a white dove. It is one of the more inventive forms of busking I have seen.

2. Not too long after the guy finishes the show, which is right before we hit the Bedford stop, a fight breaks out in the car. All I see is some guy in a white hoodie laying punches into someone seated. People flee the fight by coming into my car and I can't help but be mesmerized by the odd turn of events. When the doors open at Bedford, the white hoodie guy runs off.

3. The guy who gets punched -- early 30s, probably a professional coming off work -- is understandably agitated. After a minute or so, he is up and pacing the car. Even though I cannot hear him, it is obvious that was talking loudly and gesticulating wildly. In typical New York fashion, the passengers -- those still left in the car -- are doing their best to ignore him
. I fully expect him to get out at the next stop since he is hanging out by the door, but when the train stops at Lorimer, he stays on. More pacing ensues and then leaves for the next car ahead.

4. When I get out at Morgan, someone (yes, a human) has taken a shit in the corner of the station. The only reason I notice said turd is because someone has posted a big sign that says, "Help Me Find My Owner!" with an arrow pointing down.

5. There is some strange decapitated African statue sticking out of one of the dumpsters on my walk home.

6. There is a dead white and black bird at the corner by my building. It looks as though it had been hit by a car. Upon closer look, the bird is clearly alive because I see it blink.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I feel inclined to comment, but I really don't know what to say. What an awful day. How can did you handle it??

La

nycrouge said...

It wasn't awful (well it was awful for the guy that got punched), just weird. So I really wasn't affected by it other than to note its surrealness.

MC said...

Hmmm...maybe I don't want to live in New York.

nycrouge said...

There are worse things to experience. Promise.