Tuesday, June 24, 2008

"A single flight of planes no bigger than a wedge of geese can quickly end this island fantasy . . ."

Occasionally I dream, like I did last night, it is the morning of 9/11 again. I watch the cloudless Manhattan skyline from somewhere in Brooklyn and I am possessed of the knowledge that the world is about to change. There's a sense of urgency as I scan the skyline and check the time. I am powerless to do anything as the first plane and then the second plane arc towards their scheduled targets.

Are 9/11 dreams this generation's archetypal anxiety dream? Does anyone get chased by unseen forces or show up to work naked in their dreams anymore? Or does everyone dream instead that they were are in New York City on that fateful day over and over again?

Just a thought.

No comments: