Tuesday, April 15, 2008

"Oh the folly of youth."



Tax day. My favorite day of the year. The day when the specter of my past financial mistakes comes paying for a visit. Hmm, not paying. How about collecting? Cause I'm the one paying. But the good news is that the US government would like to economically stimulate me to the tune of 400 something dollars, which will in turn go right back into financing my debt. Suckers.

I know I resolved that 2008 would be about more sex and less financial ruin. I'm really working on it. I'm in debt counseling among other things. But here are some more specific financial resolutions that I can expand on this year.

* File a 1040 EZ for my 2008 tax return. (A girl can wish.)

* Have money saved in the bank to pay the taxes on my freelance 1099s.

* Have money saved in the bank.

* Have money saved in the bank with an institution that offers a 3% interest rate or higher.

* Increase my freelance intake. (Refer back to resolution no. 2)

* Take a fucking vacation. (Refer back to resolution no. 3.)

Sigh.

1 comment:

LG said...

Have you looked at online savings accounts? They have MUCH better interest rates than standard banks (Capital One online banking has an interest of 3.75%, compared to US Banks' .10% - and that's IF you have over $1,000 with them.) I also like it because I put just a little bit in every so often, and I can't just go to an ATM to take it out.

Speaking as someone who is ALWAYS trying to do better financially (especially since being laid off last fall), it's a great way to go.