Monday, June 12, 2006

"I just want a normal relationship."


After all the hand wringing of the previous post, Val suggested an impromptu lunch today, which did a good job of setting everything straight -- much unlike our hurried drunken conversation at Cattyshack. "I really wanted to see you today," Val said explaining that the reason she hasn't been around is that she wanted to shield me from all the stress she's going through.


"Yes, but it makes me feel like you're blowing me off."

Val looked apologetic. "That's not my intention at all."

"I didn't know what to think after our conversation on Saturday."

"That's why I wanted to see you and explain."

Meanwhile the USA/Czech Republic World Cup game played in the background. The whole bar threatened to drown her out when the Czech Republic scored their second goal. Some of the men enjoying Guinness at the bar did not look happy.

Val continued despite the interruption. "It's just you've been single for three years and I didn't know if you were looking for a super serious relationship."

"Look, I just want a normal relationship." To me normal means not ordering a U-haul. Normal means going on dates and getting to know someone. Normal means not picking out china patterns on the third date. I explained this to Val, who looked relieved.

I'm relieved too. "I don't want to be another burden in your life right now," I say bluntly in an attempt to say, We don't have to do this if it's too much. Lord knows I don't want to get hurt.

She seems surprised by the implications of my words. "No, no," she says quickly. "You're not a burden."

2 comments:

bad apologies said...

Oh YAY. I'm so glad I didn't read Sunday's post until after I read this one! Yay for normal.

By the way, you need to make sure you don't have SBS--Stupid B*tch Syndrome. I woke up this morning and realized I have a mild case.

See, girls (guys, and everyone else I guess) take completely normal interactions and clues and become a stupid b*tch for no apparent reason. I learned this from Grace, who on a regular basis stops and goes: "Wait, I'm being a stupid B*tch).

When the boy didn't call me back right away on Monday, or make an attempt to see me that night, I decided he wasn't taking this as seriously as I was (which was also stupid) and that it wasn't going anywhere. Oh no, a call two hours later and now he wants to take it further than I'm comfortable. Yes, he suggested the B word.

Well, now I have a new problem, but at least its not SBS anymore. Don't you do that either!!!

nycrouge said...

Oh god, I was such a SB. She didn't call me on Sunday so I took it as proof that she was blowing me off. I felt a little sheepish since the reason she didn't call me was because she had to rush off to CT to take care of her very sick mother.

Selfish Bitch Syndrome.