Friday, March 06, 2009

"CUT IT OFF!"

I got my hair cut on Tuesday, which is only notable because in the last couple of years my hair has gotten very long. Not crazy long, but past my collar bone to a length that it hasn't been since college when I was broke and stupid. There was something psychological about its length, which to me represented all the limitations of the past two years, my hermitage, and reassessment of life.

I had gotten to a point where I couldn't take the length anymore. It was suffocating and imbued with a lot of heavy emotion that needed to go (despite the fact that I got it cut last October). When my hairdresser asked me what I was looking for in my cut, I said CUT IT OFF! Three inches removed, I looked like my old self and it felt good.

I'm back, bitches.

Dear readers, let's all take stock of things. I ain't going to lie to you, this blog has suffered through a fallow period because of a host of factors. One, I work three jobs, which makes me sound greedy on the day that unemployment officially hit 8% in the US, but a girl's gotta eat (bacon) and pay the rent. Two, my raison d'etre has significantly changed since the days of OFAG. As my friend J-Wo recently pointed out on her own blog, domesticity and "long-winded postings about putting away the dishes never won a BlogHer award." Amen, sister. Amen.

So where do I go from here? What is my direction with this blog? These are questions I've been asking myself lately. Feedback is welcome from the peanut gallery.

3 comments:

EnnuiHerself said...

"since college when I was broke and stupid"

This sounds like a perfect incentive to start scanning in old photos of you from college.

Maybe that can be the direction of your blog. :)

Beatrice said...

I dunno - it seems to me that there are so many stories about coming out, or coming together, but less stories about being together. I think blogging about domesticity and life in general can work (see, Dooce), as long as you and Ms. K are OK with it.

Anonymous said...

I'm up for a domesticity blog. I'm sure your take on things will make it a unique and worthwhile read.