Friday, November 07, 2008

"I just called in sick, like half of America, I expect. I am going to lie on the sofa all day and watch victory TV."


Every generation has their "Where were you . . ." moment. My mom could probably tell me with clarity where she was when JFK was assassinated. The world gave my generation 9/11, but now it has also given us the election of Barack Obama.

Originally I had wanted to go out and watch the returns at a local bar -- to be with the people on such a potentially historic day, you know? But Ms. K was feeling sick so we stayed at home instead, both curled up on the couch in front of the laptop streaming live election coverage. When the election was called around 11 pm -- Obama reaching that sought after threshold of 270 electoral votes -- I cried. Everyone cried. Oprah cried.

I was a little bummed that I missed out on the spontaneous public celebrations and the dancing in the streets, but I was where I was supposed to be, with the most important person in my life on one of the most important days in modern history.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

congratulations!