Wednesday, January 19, 2005

"Chow Yun-Fat has come back to me!"


You know that old phrase, "If you let go of something and it comes back to you . . ." ? Well I'm not sure how that applies to nylon wall art depicting a Hong Kong action star.

As Jane, Fala, and I clamored in from the cold, we noticed something hanging from the ancient fire alarm. Having just returned from Kings County, we were at first bemused by the image of Chow Yun-Fat dressed à la Reservoir Dogs and holding a gun. Who hung it there? Why would someone own it in the first place? But then Jane began laughing. Yeah, it was funny. Total comedy. Or maybe it was the gin helping us into hysterics.

Mind you, this is where the story gets interesting.

The banner, Jane explained, used to belong to her ex-boyfriend. Though he now lives in Japan, his stuff lives in boxes that are stored in the loft. Still with me? Well before I moved to New York in November, my bedroom was used for extra storage that Jane and Fala had to eventually shift to make way for me. A bunch of this extra stuff, including Chow Yun-Fat, was thrown away . . . two months ago. So why was he back and hanging in the stairwell of our building?

It's one of those great mysteries of the universe.

No comments: