Friday, January 23, 2009

"Any other car and I might be dead."


We found out this morning that the car was totaled. I guess after going out to the body shop in Red Hook this afternoon, it's easy to understand why. The whole driver's side of the car was smashed in. I was unexpectedly emotional when I saw the car in that state and remembered that night last week and the screams and the blood. Ms. K was dumbfounded when she saw the car in the light of day and with a clear mind. "I had no idea the accident was that bad!" she said. "I don't know how it is that . . . ." She struggled to finish her sentence.

"How it is that we're standing here having this conversation?"

"Yeah. Any other car and I might be dead."

We found out from Chris, the body shop guy, the very one who had driven us home the night of the accident, that the man who us hit was going about 50 miles per hour.

"He didn't even have time to slam on his breaks," Chris added.

We're very lucky that it wasn't a head on crash. As today is Ms. K's birthday, it's been bittersweet to know that we escaped grievous bodily harm, yet have to deal with the burden of a totaled car who's value is worth less than the balance left on the car. I keep reminding her that we're so so lucky and that we'll figure the car situation out.

I have faith.

No comments: